CIPP is the Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals. They’re a not-for-profit professional body that’s dedicated to raising the profile of payroll in business, both in the UK and globally. Not just representing payroll professionals, the CIPP covers pension and reward professionals too.
The CIPP has a membership of 9,500 individuals. It offers members a host of benefits as well as training and professional development. CIPP members are governed by a Code of Conduct to ensure they remain compliant and deliver the highest levels of professionalism within their field.
Committed to both professionalism and quality, the CIPP has an extensive education portfolio to provide relevant and up to date training to members – both for UK and international payroll. Payroll professionals can advance their careers by gaining UK payroll qualifications and certifications through CIPP. These certifications and qualifications are internationally recognised.
The CIPP also has a Policy and Research team to represent industry professionals during Government consultations. There are over 175 pieces of legislation that affect payroll and pensions and CIPP involvement in forums and policymaking means CIPP members’ views are heard at government level.
Levels of membership:
The CIPP has membership levels for all payroll, pensions and reward professionals, whatever their level and stage of their payroll journey.
- Affiliate– this is an entry-level membership for those starting out their career and seeking professional development in the areas of payroll, HR, book-keeping or accountancy
- Associate Student– this level is a mandatory membership level for those who study the Foundation Degree payroll programmes
- Associate– this level of membership is for those that are progressing through their career and are experienced payroll, rewards or pension professionals
- Full– payroll, pensions and rewards professionals with managerial experience or who are qualified to FoundationDegree level (level five)
- Fellow – this level of membership is for those who have qualified to level six, which is BA (Hons) in Business Management or for those that have contributed to the profession and the CIPP
- Chartered – this is a membership level that’s awarded to payroll, rewards and pension professionals that have demonstrated a significant level of professional standing within the industry
All levels attract a membership fee and membership for the higher levels is assessed by the membership committee to ensure the required levels of seniority and contribution to the industry have been met and maintained.
Continuing Professional Development (‘CPD’) is a mandatory part of CIPP membership for Associate, Full and Fellow levels.
Why is the CIPP important in the payroll industry?
The CIPP is important in the payroll industry for several reasons. It’s officially registered with the UK government for providing training, higher education and qualifications for payroll professionals - ensuring that payroll professionals continue with their professional development and meet the required standards of the government.
The CIPP is also a member of the government’s Employment and Payroll Group. This is His Majesty’s Revenue and Customs’ (‘HMRC') principal consultation forum for employers and their intermediaries. The CIPP is also a member of the Compliance Reform Forum – where HMRC consults about changes to HMRC compliance-checking.
By being part of these committees and forums, the CIPP has representation at the highest level and has a hand in shaping the future of payroll legislation.
Members have to uphold CIPP’s Code of Conduct, which outlines expected behaviour and good practices for payroll professionals. By upholding the CIPP Code of Conduct, businesses across the UK can trust the quality and professionalism of members.
Does PayCaptain have CIPP members?
Yes! Not only does PayCaptain have team members who are CIPP members, the company pays for their memberships, keeping our payroll professionals accredited.
Stacey Heathcote – Head of Payroll for PayCaptain – is a Fellow of the CIPP (‘FCIPP’) and Payroll Managers Val Ellis and Rebecca Davenport are both Members(‘MCIPP’). Stuart Hall, one of PayCaptain’s Non-Executive Directors, serves as a board Director for the CIPP.
Payroll Software of the Year 2022
The CIPP hosts Annual Excellence Awards in October each year. The awards recognise the contribution of payroll professionals and they are the longest-running awards within the payroll industry. The awards were established to recognise the important role that payroll and pensions have in the UK economy.
On October 6th, PayCaptain was recognised by the CIPP and awarded with the Software Product of the Year Award for 2022, an incredible achievement for a company that was only launched during the Covid-19 Pandemic.
PayCaptain is built on the Salesforce platform and has enormous strength in areas such as security, automation and user experience. Building on that platform, Simon Bocca – CEO and Founder – and the team have been able to scale the payroll solution quickly and effectively. The PayCaptain solution makes running payroll easy for employers, whilst enhancing the employee experience of payroll and giving them the tools and ability to improve their financial well-being.
With a host of innovative functionality that improves financial wellness for all employees, the CIPP recognised the impact that PayCaptain is having on employees – particularly those who are vulnerable or on lower incomes. Functionality in the solution includes:
- On demand pay – where companies can give their employees access to payments when they need them, even if it’s outside of the regular pay period
- Payment splitting – where employees can make payments direct from their net pay to family members, landlords, loans, credit cards, etc – eliminating risk of missing an important payment
- Interactive payslips – these are graphical payslips which break down payments and deductions for employees. Employees can click on Help icons for more information on how their deductions have been calculated so they know exactly how their pay has been worked out. Help icons explain tax, NICs, student loan and pension calculations directly on thepayslip
- Savings - employees can pre-plan the amount to save and it's automatically transferred from net pay. This builds some resilience for times of financial hardship
- Money planning tool – where employees can create a personal budget
- Personalised financial guidance – trusted, impartial and confidential financial guidance from Money Helper can be accessed directly through the PayCaptain app
- PayCaptain has an AI Chatbot that can answer the most frequently asked questions raised by employees about their pay. If the employee needs to speak to an expert, they can be transferred to a member of the PayCaptain team for more guidance and support. When the employee calls PayCaptain, their last payslip automatically comes up on screen for the advisor so they can handle the enquiry quickly and efficiently
- Pensions – to make provision and build better financial resilience for later life
In summary, the CIPP is a membership organisation that sets standards for payroll, pensions and rewards professionals in the UK. Membership of the CIPP means that individuals have access to continuing professional development, support and have a voice within the industry when it comes to directing legislation that drives the industry forward. Membership of the CIPP gives credibility and inspires trust in the individuals that work in the profession.
PayCaptain Payroll Solutions Limited, www.paycaptain.com is a multi award-winning HR/FinTech company that delivers a fully automated cloud outsourced payroll service. The solution contains many unique and innovative features for employees, helping them to take control of their pay and increase their financial well-being. PayCaptain is a payroll solution that helps employers pay their workforce, regardless of income and personal circumstances. The solution also incorporates functionality that's specifically designed to positively impact financial resilience for people struggling with money, or vulnerable and low-income employees.
PayCaptain is the world’s first payroll company to be B-Corporation certified. To read more about B-Corporations, visit www.bcorporation.net
PayCaptain has been recognised and rewarded with two B Corp ‘Best for the World’ awards for being within the top 5% of highest scorers within both the Workers and Governance impact areas in the B Corporation B Impact Assessment.
In October2022, PayCaptain was awarded the Chartered Institute of Payroll Professionals ’Software Product of the Year 2022 at the CIPP Annual Excellence Awards.